Monday, August 7, 2017

Jean and “Kitty” Whyte

Sorry folks, it's been a while since my last post here. One year in fact. I just wanted to draw your attention to my article titled "Jean and “Kitty” Whyte (Daughter of shark attack victim died exactly 77 years to the day later)". 
“Kitty” Whyte was SA’s first known shark attack victim. In March 1926, she had been giving swimming lessons to some children at Brighton jetty when she was attacked by a 3-4m shark She was subsequently rescued by two men in a boat, but she apparently died on the beach.  I previously documented Kitty’s death in two past MLSSA Newsletter issues (Nov. 2011 and Feb. 2012). My two-part report regarding Kitty’s death gave the date of her death as 17th March 1926. I now see that most reports give the date as 18th March, rather than 17th March.
My reason for bringing this matter up once more is because Kitty’s daughter, Jean Whyte died in Melbourne on 18th March 2003. This is said to be “77 years to the day” that Kitty herself died in 1926. This must be particularly sad for any remaining family members, with both mother and daughter having died on the same date.
Further details can be found in the complete article at http://mlssa.org.au/2017/08/08/jean-and-kitty-whyte-daughter-of-shark-attack-victim-died-exactly-77-years-to-the-day-later/ .

No comments:

Post a Comment